Travel, Lodging, Local Information
All lodging, dining, and transportation resources are for informational purposes only and are shared without endorsement or recommendation. Please note there is a KU football game on Saturday, October 5. Traffic and parking may be more difficult this day and there are limited hotel rooms available on the night of Friday, Oct 4.
Hampton Inn Lawrence
2300 W 6th St, Lawrence, KS 66049
We have a limited group block of rooms at the Hampton Inn Lawrence. Please click or copy and paste the URL below into your browser to access the rates available for this group. You can also call the hotel directly at 785-841-4994 and make a reservation with the front desk staff. Group rate is $89 + tax and includes complimentary breakfast, internet, and parking, access to fitness center, pool, and guest laundry. Group Rate cutoff date is September 10, 2019.
Booking Link: http://group.hamptoninn.com/DigitalHumanitiesForum
Group Name: Digital Humanities Forum
Arrival Date: 01-Oct-2019
Departure Date: 04-Oct-2019
Cutoff Date: 10-Sep-2019
Additional Lodging Resources
Lawrence City Information
- General safety information: https://lawrenceks.org/fire-medical/safety_tips/
- Emergencies: +1 911
- Non-emergencies: +1 (785) 830-7400
University of Kansas Information
- General safety information: https://publicsafety.ku.edu/
- Campus alerts: http://alerts.ku.edu/
- Severe weather information: https://alerts.drupal.ku.edu/weather-emergencies#severethunderstorm
- Emergencies: +1 911
- Non-emergencies: +1 (785) 864-5900
- KU Concealed Carry Weapons Policy
City and Campus Bus Service
- Lawrence transit routes & schedules: http://lawrencetransit.org/
- KU on Wheels: http://kuonwheels.ku.edu/
- Lawrence Transit app: http://lawrencetransit.org/mobile-tools
- Hourly-rate parking is available within two blocks of the Burge Union and free and hourly-rate parking is available near the Kansas Union and The Oread hotel. The Allen Fieldhouse Garage is the closest parking to the Burge Union and charges an hourly rate of $1.75 for the first hour and $1.50 for each subsequent hour. The KU Parking Map (PDF) includes color codes for parking all over campus. KU Parking & Transit offers the most current information as well as KU parking regulations.
- For the Saturday workshop at the Lawrence Public Library, parking is available at the Vermont Street Parking Garage, 727 Vermont St, directly south of the Library. The top level is 10-hour free parking. Level 3 is 10-hour pass or $1.00 per day. Levels 1 and 2 are two-hour free parking. Red signs indicate two-hour free parking. Blue signs indicate 10-hour pass or $1.00 per day. Pay stations are located at each stairwell on Level 1. More information about parking options in downtown Lawrence can be found at the City of Lawrence website.
Kansas City International Airport (MCI) is the closest major airport to Lawrence, Kansas. Travel time between MCI and Lawrence is approximately 50 minutes by car or shuttle. View a map of the route. In addition to the information included below, MCI maintains a Ground Transportation page that may prove helpful.
When departing the conference, follow your airline’s recommendations for arrival time before your flight. In general, plan to arrive at the airport at least 1.5 hours prior to a domestic flight.
A complete listing of rental car services is maintained by Kansas City International Airport.
Shuttles between Lawrence and the airport can be expensive. If you would like to find others to share a ride with, please use this Google Spreadsheet.
Shuttle services at Kansas City International Airport strongly recommend advance reservations. Some charge per person, others charge per trip. Coordinating with other travelers may yield savings. The table below lists contact information for several transportation companies. All have door to door service to Lawrence hotels. Fares are one-way and are subject to change. The two services below are regularly used by the Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities and we can recommend them.
|BATS (Better Alternative Transportation Service)||(913) 634-5484||$90/car
|5 Guys Transportation||816-891-9999||$100||$47
*limited dropoff/pickup locations
Due to the distance between MCI and Lawrence, this option is quite expensive. With that caveat, Kansas City International Airport provides directions for obtaining taxi service and current rates.
- Lawrence Restaurants (Use the drop-down menu to find specific dining options.)